Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bread stuffed with meat and cheese?

Oh Adam. You are so lucky. I made you pane ripiene (stuffed bread) for Valentine's Day. I used the recipe here (it's one of the links on the side). Rather than follow any of the recipes found on the recipe page, however, I decided to fill my bread with spicy Italian sausages, mozzerella cheese, peppers, and onions. Adam sauteed up the peppers, onions, and a jalapeno, as well as the sausage.


I made the dough according to the recipe, but I needed to add a bit of extra flour, and I used 1 1/4 tsp instant yeast added to the dry ingredients. After rising, I stretched the dough out into a rough rectangular shape and filled it first with slices of cheese, then the onion, pepper, and sausage mixture. I used the "book" shaping method, which I've never tried before but which I quite enjoyed.
 

To make the book, you fold up the bottom and top about 2 inches, then the two sides into the center, almost touching. Then you fill it up with another layer of meat and cheese and fold the left side over the right, like closing a book. I tried to seal the book shut along the "pages" but I definitely put a little too much filling in there. If this were a real book, the spine would be facing you in this picture.
I stretched the bread a little bit too thin in a few areas and it wouldn't quite seal shut. I should have used about 75% of what I ended up putting in there, which I realized at the time but a weird stubbornness about using all the filling took over. As you can see, I also ripped a little bit of a hole in it trying to seal it shut. It didn't matter though. It was still delicious.

It's a nice, versatile dough. I could see filling it with pretty much anything you want - veggies and cheese, coldcuts and cheese, pizza toppings, feta and olives, etc. I will definitely be making it again. The only word of advice I have is to make sure you get toppings in the corners of your book, or else the ends are mostly bread. My book ended up with a really nice crunchy brown crust. The leftovers also heated up very nicely the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment